universalflo

cool, kind, and helpful

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Putting The Fear into Women


I watched Looking For Mr. Goodbar for the first time last night and it really freaked me out. File this one under "Anti-date Films".

Movies like this one always leave me wondering who I should have watched them with. Watching with a man you don't know very well: definitely out of the question; watching with a man you're in a commited relationship with: who wants to have sex? not!; watching with girlfriends: everyone ends up being skeeved out; watching by yourself: yikes! deadbolt, chain, and lock lock lock the doors!

I like Diane Keaton well enough, but she never seems to be acting so much as being herself pretending to be someone else. So there she was, being goofy, serious, smart, caring, looking for sexual awakening and adventure, and all the while the portents of doom kept me cringing/waiting.

I prefer less cringing in my cinematic tales of sexual adventure. Morality tales of this nature always seem to be trying to put the fear into women. I have a dream that one day none of will ever feel the fear of sex crimes.


2 Comment(s):

on July 26, 2006, Blogger J said...

Hi Flo! Its Jon...Kochi Jon(are the dots connecting?). How are you doing? I stumbled apon your blog...its good reading!
I also write on my blog from time to time...check it out and if so inclined, link it! http://myisthmus.blogspot.com/


I hope everything is swell and not too sweltering,
Jon

 
on August 13, 2006, Blogger Karen Fish said...

Keep dreaming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home